Preschool Activities at a Glance
During the first half of the morning children have access to a wide range of play materials such as playdough, water, puzzles, construction sets, computer games, books, crayons, as well as traditional toys like cars, train set, dressing-up clothes, dolls and ‘home corner’. Other activities such as painting, cooking and craft work are planned into each week.
Children choose their own activities and are given as much independence as possible. They can work alone or develop their social play with adults always close by to support and extend their learning and skills. Some activities are adult-led with either small or larger groups of children.
Topic work: Each half-term some activities are planned around a theme to stimulate children’s imagination and add variety and interest to the routine provision; e.g. ‘Nursery Rhymes’, ‘Africa’, ‘People who help us’ etc.
A sociable time when we take time out from play to sit in a small group for a healthy snack and a drink. Children are encouraged to try different foods and pour their own drinks.
In all but the worst weather we spend some time outside using sand, tricycles, scooters, pushchairs and other outdoor resources. When indoors, children enjoy music and movement sessions, simple ball games or parachute play.
To round off the morning we sit in a group for singing, musical games and rhymes. We discuss our topic work and then end with a story.
Parents Say ..
- Thank you. My daughter really loved her time at New Road Preschool, and moved on to Primary school with confidence.
- Since Penelope started we’ve noticed a confidence we never thought she had. Her shyness is a thing of the past and she’s even started eating apples instead of sweets! Thanks so much for all your support and help.
- The staff have put a lot of care & thought into helping my child settle. She’s very happy. Communication with parents is very good, we appreciate the home/school book, especially as we are not always taking/picking up.
- I am very happy with the setting and opportunities for learning. He loves coming.
- It’s an excellent Preschool.
- I am very happy with the Preschool.
- He loves going to Preschool, thanks for all your hard work